This week, we have a new member of the team, an update on where we are with the tools we were building last week, and a couple of fixes to address. But first, let’s start with our new team member, Ben!
Hello, my name is Ben, I’m the newest member to join the Sauropod family. With Kyle, I will manage some of the social media platforms available out there. My work with the studio will be mainly to keep in touch with you guys. For those who are wondering, I’ve been in the communications field for more that 8 years now. I did some radio and television work, and I have an interest in podcasting. Do not hesitate if you have any questions or comments, it’s my job to administrate the relationship between the team and the community. You can reach me at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org
See you out there!
New Social Media Direction
We’re also going to be adopting a new direction when it comes to our interaction on our different social media platforms going forward. In the coming weeks, we’ll be sharing news, articles and other sorts of info about things we’ve seen in the indie gaming scene. Of course, our objective isn’t to flood you all with content. We’ll continue to focus on keeping everyone up to date on Castle Story’s development and the studio’s activity. But, in adopting this new approach, we hope to be more in touch with our fans and backers, most of whom are indie game enthusiasts.
Now, to be clear, Ben and Kyle (me) are going to be working in concert. We both have areas we’re more used to and comfortable in, and we’re going to be working to shore up one another’s weaknesses. Ben, who is our Publicity Manager, will be handling some of the broader audience areas of our community. Ben is more comfortable with audiences and public speaking, whereas I am more comfortable having conversations with small groups and answering questions. Ben will handle Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, all that stuff. I’ll shift my focus exclusively to our discussion forums, Castle Story Online, Reddit, and the Steam forums, along with handling reports through our support site and community events. Ben and I will also work together on Steam, as that’s the most active branch of our community right now.
Just wanted to give a brief update on where we are with the tools we discussed last week. We won’t go into details, since we did that last week. If you missed last weeks blog, I recommend you give it a quick glance over, otherwise this won’t make a ton of sense.
The Progression Editor is effectively finished, and the Volumetric Settings Editor isn’t too far behind it. The asset matcher and pivot editors are still doing some weird stuff and need a little bit more work at the moment. All in all though, the editors are coming together very nicely and they’re already making life easier.
Audio Ram Usage Fix
You may have noticed a small change in the game since we moved from Wwise to Fabric. Namely, the memory usage was very clearly not the same. It was taking roughly 300-400Mb more memory for the audio. This had some pretty major repercussions for lower-end systems. With the help of Tazman Studio, and a ton of back and forth, and a little bit of audio magic, we were able to get the engine to start streaming the audio as it’s needed rather than extracting everything directly into memory. And, it shouldn’t affect the audio quality at all. There may be a slight issue with slower hard drives that need to be woken up from time to time, but it likely won’t make any difference at all. If it turns out to be a problem, we’ll reconsider things at that point.
Our friends on Mac may have also noticed some serious issues with the game post refactoring. We tracked down the issue there and have released a fix, so you guys should be good now.
Linux is, as always, proving to be more interesting. There has been a long running issue with Castle Story and systems running Linux with an ATI video card and the FGLRX drivers, particularly in Ubuntu. We’ve finally managed to recreate the problem locally on a machine in the studio, but the logs and what not aren’t giving us anything useful to run on. We’re going to continue tracking down the issue here, and we’ll try and get that fixed for you guys ASAP.
We’ve also still been having some save issues, so we released yet another small fix for that. And, just for clarity, this hasn’t been a single issue that we haven’t been able to narrow down, but several small different issues manifesting in similar ways, one popping up as soon as the previous is put down. Hopefully, this was the last one.
Bug of the Week
Guillaume simply loves to break the game. Here’s a soldier that isn’t sure where the ground is.
Soundtrack of the Week
Personally, I’ve always been a huge fan of OK Go. I only wish I had more of their albums, and I’m quite excited about their upcoming release. I love their videos too, almost as much as their music. They’ve always made really interesting, innovative videos that don’t rely on massive visual effects budgets, but instead make use of forced perspective, or timelapse, or ultra-cheap green screen effects. For one, they used a bunch of trained dogs and made them the focus of the video. In another, they built the most insane rude goldberg machine I’ve ever seen. I love their stuff, and I decided to share one of their albums with you this week. I give you ‘Of the Blue Colour of the Sky’, by OK Go.
Note, there is a slight bit of profanity in a couple of songs, but it is far from the focus.
Additional note, as I post this, grooveshark is down for maintenance, so the player won’t work for a couple hours. If you try and listen to the soundtrack and it won’t work, give it awhile.
And, as always, thanks for reading!
16 Comments for Dev-Diary Ninety-Eight: Welcome to the Team, Ben!